Frequently Asked Questions
Why is Maintenance Important?
Our focus at Boyd Motor Werks is Service and Maintenance over breakdowns.
Regular maintenance is like health care for your BMW. The cost of regular maintenance is significantly smaller when it is compared to the cost of a major breakdown.
How often should I change the coolant in my car?
We recommend coolant changes every two years because coolant gradually loses its anti-corrosion and antifreeze properties. If the coolant is not changed at these suggested intervals, the coolant pH will be lowered and the cooling system is compromised.
What does it mean to winterize my car?
When you “winterize” your car, you inspect and adjust the car’s coolant protection, and battery and charging system.
How often should I change the oil in my car? How often the oil filter?
We recommend that the oil and oil filter be changed at 3-4,000 mile intervals, as high-performance engines last much longer if the oil is changed more frequently. Cars that are driven only occasionally should have the oil changed every 3-4 months as acids form in the oil even though the car is driven infrequently.
What type of oil should I use in my car?
Your car was designed to run on grades of oils. Climate conditions determine the weight of oil to use. Your manufacturer’s handbook lists specific requirements.
How often should I have the timing belt replaced?
Not all cars have timing belts. For cars with timing belts, the first replacement should occur at 60,000 miles, then preceding replacements should occur every 45,000 miles or every 4 years, whichever comes first.
Why is my car’s heater not working as well as it used to?
There are several different types of heating systems and problems that can arise. The most common problems are:
- A defective thermostat
- A defective heater valve
- A poorly maintained cooling system
- A plugged Micro Filter (debris can restrict the airflow to the Micro Filter and reduce the heater’s performance–typically you should replace this filter every 1-2 years)
Why is my car’s air-conditioner not working as it used to?
Some of the most common reasons for A/C problems:
- A leak in the coolant system
- A defective compressor
- A defective receiver dryer
- An inoperable supplementary fan
Why does my car make a funny noise when I hit bumps?
The noise could be caused by any of these factors:
- Worn suspension components
- Worn brakes
- Loose nuts and bolts in the engine
- Defective wheel bearing
Answering some of these questions will help us in diagnosing your problem:
- Does it happen when you have more than one person in the car?
- Has it gotten louder over time?
- Is the noise present when applying the brakes?
- Have you performed any services in your car yourself?
- Have you recently hit a pothole or curb?
My car won’t start!
Possible causes of the problem:
- Bad battery cables
- Defective charging system
- Bad starter or starter cylinoid
- Defective ignition switch
- Worn out neutral safety switch
Questions we’ll ask in diagnosing this problem:
- Do your instrument lights come on when you turn the key?
- Do you hear a clicking noise when you turn the key?
- Does it sound like it is trying to turn over?
- Do your gauges work when you have the key in the on position?